I am amazed at how quickly the time has flown by. We are looking at only a few months left for my tenure as your seneschal. I would like to name my replacement as of the June council and so in light of that will be accepting applications for the position immediately. The change over to the new seneschal will be complete by August council.
This is a big job. There are so many rewards though. The biggest of which is the people that you will get to work with and meet along the way. I have included a job description as I see it below. Please submit both mundane and SCA resumes as well as a letter of intent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you. I have sincerely enjoyed my three years in this position and hope to continue serving in someway with the branch in the future. I will be staying on as contingency deputy until such time as the new seneschal is comfortable with the office and able to provide a new contingency deputy.
Position: Seneschal for the Shire of Lionsdale
Application acceptance close on May 31st, 2010 at midnight.
Tenure: Two years (you can re-establish/re-apply for two ‘one year’ terms after that)
- SCA membership in good standing for the full duration of your tenure.
- Acceptable warrant from the Principality of Tir Righ and the Kingdom of An Tir. (ask me if your not sure)
Commitments and Responsibilities:
- You are the legal representative for the branch on behalf of the SCA Inc.
- You are also the chairperson. Your responsibilities will include running the monthly council meeting and being involved in all committee meetings.
- Approving all event bids in principle and budgets with the financial committee.
- You will be responsible for signing all contracts with sites and service groups.
- You will be responsible for reporting to council monthly with updates and announcements from up the chain.
- You will be responsible for reporting quarterly to the Principality of Tir Righ’s Seneschal, including a dooms day report at the end of the year.
- You will be responsible for following up with officers regarding their reporting
- You will be responsible for maintaining a file of important correspondences as well as reports for the officers and yourself
- You will be responsible for reporting for any major offices that are vacant and for helping find replacements for them
- You will be responsible for problem solving issues as they arrive in the day to day running of the Shire and at events. (This may include calling authorities if needed to remove persons behaving in a illegal or dangerous way at events)
- You will be responsible for finding and maintaining a contingency deputy
- You will be responsible for screening applicants for your replacement so that they meet the requirements and acclamation of the attendees at council.
- You will need to be able to devote about four hours (flexes with activities through the year) each week to the day to day running of the Shire
- You should have a mode of transportation to allow you to get to various meetings and events
- You should have reliable access to a computer including email, printer and scanner (fax is a bonus)
- You must be able to say “no” in such a way as to not offend people overly much.
- You should be well versed in the various governing documents for our group (includes: SCA Corpora, Kingdom of An Tir and Principality of Tir Righ Laws, BC Societies Act and Lionsdales policies that are in place)
- You can not be afraid to ask direct questions when you are in doubt.
- The whole group benefits from you travel out of the Shire and attendance at such meetings as Principality and Kingdom Curia Meetings and Seneschal meetings and retreats.
There are alot of materials and people around to support you in the office should you succeed in obtaining the position and while I am asking for resumes, I am also fully aware of the aspect of volunteerism and won’t be only looking at that. I really would like to see someone with the ability to work well with other people, and with the drive to continue taking the Shire on through the process of looking at and possibly becoming a Barony. I look forward to talking with all applicants at length and answering their questions.
Seneschal of the Shire of Lionsdale